1936 Aeronca C-3 Master - N16291
The two seat Aeronca C-3 was dubbed the “flying bathtub” because of its unusual fuselage shape. Following the sucessful C-2 Scout model, the C-3 Master was marketed as an all weather convertible, with removable door and fold-down window. The Master, inexpensive to own and operate, was popular with sportsman pilots and required only 70 feet of runway to take off. Approximately 400 were produced.
The E-113C engine used on this aircraft has a single magneto ignition system. Later, Aeronca E-113CBD engines featured dual magnetos as required by the new safety standards of 1938. The engine consumes about three gallons of gas per hour at cruising speed (85% power). The fuselage is fabric-covered welded steel tubing and the wings are fabric-covered spruce.
It has dual control wheels. The Duplex was the open cockpit configuration and sold for $1730; the Master was the enclosed version and sold for $1790. For 1936, all C-3s were built with enclosed cockpits.
Built by the Aeronautical Corp. of America at Lunken Airport, Cincinnati, Ohio. ATC # 396 granted on 1-31-31, expired .
Donated By: Kenneth A. Cook and Fred Sanlader, Milwaukee, WI.